This past November Preserve Manager Alix Schnee, Friends Administrative Director Liz Meszaros, and Friends President, Clare Pierson, put together a grant application to the Federal Highway Administration administered by the State. We were thrilled to receive word this January that we had been recommended by the Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation for this grant!
What Alix Schnee envisioned is a complete restoration of the Swan Lake area carriage roads which will bring that loop back to its original design as well as adding some much needed accessibility to Swan Lake and Brother’s Path.
There are several things that are very exciting about this work; it will fill in some of the gaps that the state budget cuts have left open, it allows us to go beyond maintenance to improvement and restoration, and that improvement will be applied to the part of the Preserve most heavily trafficked by the public. The accessibility elements include a station just off of the Swan Lake access trail that includes parking spaces for two handicapped vans and an accessible mounting block. Ann accessible viewing area just to the north will enable people who use wheel chairs to experience the lovely view of the Lake already available to those who sit on the stone benches.
We had some wonderful support from our community that I want to mention. Letters came in from Kendal on Hudson, Phelps Hospital, ARC of Westchester and the Hudson Valley Greenway
This grant is a matching grant; we have to raise 20% of the total in order to qualify for the other 80% and we know we can count on you to help us raise this money.
Please consider a donation to the Friends specifically for this grant.